Contradictory to what many might think, an expert guide is not necessary in order to see the Northern Lights.
Don’t misunderstand us, having an expert guide is always an extra bonus (otherwise we would not be able to offer all of our guided Northern Light tours!), but what you need in order to see the auroras in Iceland isn’t so complicated. It needs to be dark, cold and the sky needs to be as clear as possible (no clouds, please).
Now, the first two points are usually not a problem during winter in Iceland. It’s cold and dark most of the time. But the sky is very unpredictable. One minute, clouds will cover the stars and the auroras. But the next minute, there might be a hole in the clouds where the auroras will shine through.
What's in it for you?
- Detailed itinerary created specially for your travel route where you'll find information on must-visit sights along the way, interesting detours and other important tidbits that will help to make your travels easier and more enjoyable.
- Pick up your car directly on arrival at the International airport in Keflavik.
- Electronic version of Iceland Travel Booklet. Prior to your arrival we will send you an electronic version of our Iceland Travel Booklet. You can start preparing yourself for your upcoming Iceland trip and be all ready for you Iceland adventure!
- You will be staying at an amazing hotel in the middle of the Golden Circle area, away from all city lights, and have a car available that you can use to get to the best available viewing point.
- 4 star hotel in Reykjavik city center with a complimentary northern light cocktail and free admission to Mecca Spa Radisson Blu Hotel Saga.
- Opportunity to explore the amazing attractions surrounding the Golden Circle area, such as Geysir Hot Spring, Gullfoss waterfall, Thingvellir National Park and many more.
- A visit to the famous Blue Lagoon.
- Safety first! Free sim card worth ISK 2000 to phone us in case of any travel hiccups and in case of emergency. It also gives you the opportunity to phone your friends and family at home and share your Iceland experience through social media.
If you like the day-to-day itinerary for our Northern Lights Luxury self-drive tour but are looking for a more budget friendly option we recommend that you take a look at our Winter Gems self-drive.
Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher.
- 2 nights at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, including breakfast*
- 1 night at Grimsborgir Hotel, including breakfast*
- Rental car for 3 days, unlimited mileage, CDW, VAT and airport service fee
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik airport.**
- GPS system with car and additional authorized driver
- Road map (1:500.000) (Until 1. May)
- Detailed itinerary (Until 1. May)
- Iceland Travel Booklet - electronic version (Until 1. May)
- Experience Comfort package at the Blue Lagoon - including visitor pass, entrance, use of towel, 1st drink of your choice, and a skin care trial pack***
- Northern lights cocktail at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel
- Free admission to Mecca Spa at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel
- An emergency phone line, available all day and every day of the year
- SIM card worth ISK 2000: Unlimited text and talk for local calls + 1 GB of data. Standard, Micro and Nano cards available. Please check with your service provider to make sure that your phone is unlocked before arrival in Iceland.
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion (for guests arriving from 1. May)
The app includes:
• Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
• Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
• Detailed description of the customer´s journey, including hotel itinerary and GPS road guide to each hotel
• A map view of the Iceland road trip
• Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
*In case of no availability at Radisson Blu Saga Hotel or Grimsborgir we reserve the right to book a equivalent hotel.
**Please note that the package price is based on 3 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 4 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 3 day rental is up and use our flybus departure transfer.
***The Blue Lagoon will be closed from April 23 to 27, 2017. The Blue Lagoon entrance will be replaced by an entrance to the Secret Lagoon in Fludir.
Also included on these days
Experience Comfort package at the Blue Lagoon - including visitor pass, entrance, use of towel, one drink of your choice, and a skin care trial pack.