Visit South Iceland´s most popular tourist attraction, the Golden Circle, and try a selection of the country´s mouth-watering delicacies along the way. After all, a country´s traditional food and drink do provide intriguing cultural insights.
The Golden Circle is comprised of three major attractions. Thingvellir National Park with its stunning nature is where the Vikings established their first national assembly. Now UNESCO-listed, this is where the heart of the Icelandic nation beats.
The park´s geology is no less fascinating since here you can literally stand on the boundary line between the American and Eurasian plates that have been pulling apart over time.
The other two spectacular sights on the tour include the erupting hot spring at Geysir, where steam and hot water spurt skywards, and the mighty Gullfoss waterfall whose glacial waters thunder majestically into a narrow ravine.
Lunch is at the family-run Efstidalur farm, which prides itself on its fresh homemade produce and delicious farm to fork cooking. Later in the day we visit the Friðheimar geothermally-powered greenhouse and café and try their succulent tomatoes and tasty chutneys and jams.
Our final visit is to a traditional turf farmhouse. A lack of local timber forced Icelanders to develop this unique building technique. Here we try two Icelandic classics: flat bread with smoked lamb and pancakes filled with cream and rhubarb jam.
The ideal tour tour for a fun and memorable travel experience!
- Þingvellir National Park and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Gullfoss waterfall and Geysir geothermal area.
- Delicious farm to table food specialities of Efstidalur farm.
- The impossibly sweet tomatoes, chutneys, and jams of Friðheimar Greenhouse.
- Traditional Icelandic delicacies at one of the best preserved turf farms in Iceland.
- Guided coach tour
- Pick-up and drop-off at accommodations 45 minutes prior to departure
- Taste of tomatoes and more at Fridheimar greenhouse
- Taste of pancakes and flatbread