Day 1: Arrival: Keflavik – Hveragerdi
Arrival in the Land of Fire and Ice and Hot Spring Hike
Once you have landed at Keflavik Airport, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel.
Drive along mystical lava landscapes to the charming village of Hveragerdi for your overnight. Hveragerdi is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and, because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the “flower village.”
Overnight in the Hveragerdi area.
Please note check-in for most hotels begins at 14:00 – 16:00 (2:00pm-4:00pm).
Today’s Adventure Option:
Reykjadalur Hot Spring Hike – If you arrive earlier in the day, you can get acquainted with Iceland’s landscape with a hike on the popular Reykjadalur trail. The trailhead is near Hveragerdi. Hike through a colorful valley with steam vents on well-marked trails leading to a hot spring river. The naturally heated water is ideal for a hot spring bath. Admission is free for the hiking trail and hot spring bathing
Good to Know
- The hike to the hot spring is about 3 km (1.8 miles) each way and takes 1-1.5 hours each way. The trail does continue to other points of interest if you would like a longer hike
- Hiking level- easy to moderate. There is some steep uphill walking in the beginning. The trail is well-marked
- There are no changing rooms but there is a primitive changing area
- Do your part to save nature by staying on the boardwalk around the hot spring pool
- Hiking boots strongly recommended
- Take some water and a snack- and don’t forget your swimsuit and towel
- Bring a bag to keep your clothes dry while you bathe
- Bring another bag to store your trash during the hike