This trip will take you to the frozen glacial tongue that is Solheimajokull. Go glacier walking and ice climbing in Iceland with all equipment provided.
Here is your chance to visit a glacier and not just any glacier. This trip will take you onto the frozen glacial tongue that is Solheimajokull with an experienced and certified glacier guide. The glacier is a magnificent phenomenon, a rugged, raw and ever-changing hub of ancient frozen water. We will explore the crevasse riddled outlet glacier with its amazing ice formations, sinkholes and jagged ridges. Along the way we will find an ice wall on the glacier and try our hand at ice climbing. We will provide you with all the tools you need: ice axes, crampons and safety lines.
On this excursion you get to see and do what most people will only dream about and very few ever try. Why not be adventurous and explore the amazing crawling glacier?
- Walking on ice with crampons
- Ice climbing
- Solheimajokull Ice Formations
- Ridges and Crevasses
- Glacier hike on Solheimajökull glacier (3 hours)
- An introduction to ice climbing
- Experienced and qualified glacier guide
- Specialized glacier gear; climbing harness, glacier crampons, helmet and other climbing safety equipment
- Rain gear or other clothing
- Hiking boots
Meeting place: The Solheimajokull Glacier Parking Lot. Distance from Reykjavik approx. 164 km / 101 miles.
Total Duration: 3.5 – 4 hours
Total duration on ice: 3 hours
Group size: 2 – 6 persons per guide
Minimum age: 14 years