The original glacier walk, operating since 1994. The perfect option for a family adventure. Discover why glacier walks are one of the most popular outdoor activities in Iceland.
Your adventure starts off with meeting your certified and experienced glacier guide in Skaftafell. After meeting your group, you will be provided with an ice axe, crampons and a harness. At the edge of the glacier, your guide will give you a short safety briefing.
Once you step onto the ice field it will feel as if you have been transported to an icy, foreign planet.
As you walk through a wonderland of glacial ice sculptures, ice ridges and deep crevasses on the glacier, you will witness stunning scenery as far as the eye can see. Don’t miss the opportunity to see this glacial wonderland in person.
Duration: 3.5 hours (1.5 – 2 hours on the glacier)
Difficulty/Activity Level: Moderate (Accessible to all those in good health, who are doing some sport regularly, and who are used to all-terrain walks 2-6 hours per day, without carrying much weight.)
Minimum Age: 10 years
- Breathtaking surroundings
- Falljokull ice formations
- Hiking on Europe’s largest glacier
- Wonderland of ice sculptures
- Experienced and qualified guide
- Glacier gear
- Safety equipment
- Meals, refreshments, beverages
- Transfers to/from meeting point
- Parking fee at Skaftafell (paid on the spot; rates are found here)
- Rain coat and trousers.
- Hiking boots that reach over your ankle are a must.
- Warm clothing -Your clothing should be picked according to weather that day, you will not get much colder on the glacier as on the ground.
Meeting Point: Skaftafell Base Camp
- Please arrive no later than 20 minutes before your tour time