Enter one of Iceland’s best ice caves in years to discover a crystal blue icy wonderland unlike any other.
Have the experience of a lifetime as you witness crystal blue ice unlike any other in Iceland. Get up close and personal to incredible shades of icy blue while you walk into the depths of the mighty Vatnajokull, Europe’s largest glacier.
The astonishing blue glacial ice caves are only found deep inside of glaciers. They form from the power of meltwater as it travels through the crevasse channels of a glacier. When the cold season comes, the caves that the water left behind freeze completely so that they become stable and safe to visit.
We pick you up at Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon in a SuperJeep and drive to the edge of the glacier where we gear up and get ready for the caving. After a short hike (approx. 20-30 minutes), we’ll arrive at the magnificent ice cave where you will have about 30-45 minutes (depending on conditions) to explore its wonders at your own pace.
After we have explored the cave, we will start making our way back to the location where you were picked up.
- Small group experience
- Vatnajokull, Europe’s largest glacier
- Jokulsarlon ice cave
- SuperJeep ride to the glacier
- SuperJeep transfer to and from a crystal blue ice cave
- Guided visit to an ice cave
- All necessary glacier gear
- All required safety equipment
- English-speaking licensed Adventure Guide
- Free Wi-Fi on Board SuperJeep
- Meals, refreshments, beverages
- Transfer to/from the Glacier Lagoon
- You will be wearing a helmet, so a smaller hat is definitely recommended for it to fit underneath the helmet.
- We always recommend dressing in layers. Three or four upper layers are highly recommended such as a light T-shirt (preferably wool) next to the skin, then a fleece or heavy wool garment, topped off with a waterproof windbreaker and waterproof pants.
- Lightweight hiking pants, track pants or long cotton pants are best (jeans are not recommended for our trips since they can get wet and heavy).
- Sunglasses and sunscreen even if it is cloudy due to the high UV and sunlight reflecting off of the glacier.
- Sturdy hiking boots that fit crampons.
- Ice caves are ever-changing natural phenomena that are only accessible during winter when the temperature drops well below zero. Each year new unique caves are formed in different locations.
- We will visit one naturally formed ice cave during this tour, and the cave we visit is chosen based on conditions and safety each time.
- The tour operator has the right to alter or cancel the tour if the weather and glacier conditions are not safe on the day of your visit.
- We recommend that you spend the night in the vicinity of Vatnajökull because the road and weather conditions can be unpredictable during winter in Iceland. The Glacier Lagoon is at least a 4.5-hour-drive from Reykjavik in the best conditions. Staying close to the glacier lagoon for one night, either before or after you visit the ice cave, is a good idea.