Get even closer to the powers that created Iceland thousands of years ago below ground on our 3 hour breathtaking Extreme Lava Tunnel Tour.
Visitors will walk the path of the lava flow released by the Leitahraun eruption that occurred around 5200 years ago, Raufarholshellir, which is one of the longest and best known lava tunnels in Iceland.
The total length of the tunnel is 1360 m, with the main tunnel being 900 m long. The tunnel is up to 30 m wide with headroom up to 10 m high, making it one of the most expansive lava tunnels in Iceland. At the end of Raufarholshellir, the tunnel branches into three smaller tunnels where magnificent lava falls and formations are clearly visible.
Near the entrance of the tunnel the ceiling has caved in, creating three beautiful columns of light inside the tunnel and in winter the frost forms beautiful ice sculptures inside the entrance, giving you the feeling of being about to enter a magical winter wonderland.
We will take you to this extraordinary natural phenomenon and explore it under the guidance of an experienced guide.
- All necessary gear such as helmet, light and gloves
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel in the Reykjavik metropolitan area
- Professional guidance inside the lava tube
- The tour inside the cave is 3-4 hours
- This tour is recommended for people in good physical conditions.
- No crawling is needed as the cave is both wide and has a high ceiling.