Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience. Witness the raw power of lava pouring out of the surface of the earth.
Experience the adventure of a guided tour to the volcanic eruption in Geldingadalur. Your driver and guide will take the group to the start of the hiking route towards the volcano in Geldingadalur, where the group will hike towards the volcano. The hike will take approximately 1.5-2 hours each way, and the trail is conveniently marked.
Difficulty level: Moderate. You should be in reasonable physical condition and have hiking experience
Distance: 7 km (4.3 miles)
Elevation: 300 m (985 feet)
Minimum age: 6 years old (children should have experience with hiking in mountain areas)
Hikers will have approximately 2 hours to view the volcanic eruption
- We will follow the recommendations of the Civil protection service and cancel the tour if circumstances at the eruption site are unsafe.
- Please be aware of the public guidance for hikers visiting the site. For more information visit the Department of Civil Protection.
- Be aware that the weather can change quickly.
- Wear hiking shoes, warm and waterproof clothing.
- Assume that the journey may take longer than planned.
- Bring a packed lunch, snacks and water to drink.
- Keep an eye on your travel companions. Fatigue and hypothermia come quickly.
- Stick to hills and ridges. Avoid valleys and dales in the landscape.
- There is a risk of rock fall. Beware of steep slopes
- The telephone connection in the area is bad, and it can be difficult to call for help if needed.
- Eruption sites can change, and new eruption cracks may open on short notice.
- Gas pollution is strongest close to the area and can lurk in valleys and dales, where it is particularly dangerous.
- Gas pollution can change on short notice if the eruption suddenly increases, and it is dangerous to be near the eruption sites without measuring instruments.
- Bus fare
- Free Wi-Fi
- Guided tour & volcano hike
- Hotel pick-up – this can be added to the tour at booking time
- Food, drink, refreshments
- Remember to dress according to the weather
- Bring food, snacks, bottled water to keep your energy level up
- Please wear sturdy, waterproof hiking shoes
- Crampons are required, as conditions can be slippery.
- You must bring your own face mask and wear it onboard all buses.
- You are responsible for following social distancing rules during the hike.