Glacier Wonders is a superb but easy glacier hiking tour from Skaftafell into the magnificent ice-world of Falljokull glacier, a tongue of the mighty Vatnajokull, the largest glacier in Europe. You will learn how a living glacier moves and why this magical ice-kingdom is always changing.
This Iceland glacier hike day tour is filled with variety. Meet your certified and experienced glacier guide at Vatnajokull National Park. Then the excitement really begins!
Start with a drive towards Falljokull through stunningly spectacular scenery as the soft vegetation around Skaftafell gives way to the impressive mountain landscapes. The drive takes around 15 minutes; you’ll then hike for about 30 minutes up to Falljokull, surrounded by stunning mountain glacier scenery every step of the way. Hvannadalshnukur, Iceland’s highest peak will be towering high above you on the right side.
At Falljokull, we strap on our ice crampons ready for the magic moment – setting foot on the glacier! (Depending on the conditions, you’ll spend about 1,5 hours on the glacier.) Your guide will explain this unbelievably vibrant and living world to you. You will see incredible crevasses wending their way, twisting and turning through the glacier. These labyrinths are always forming, moving and changing in tune with the dance of nature. A glacier is never static, its gradual movement makes a glacier one of the most stunning and magnificent natural forces in the world. These ice-wonders are shaped by nature and the climate, yet they also possess the power to shape the land.
- Small Group Experience
- Glacier hiking on Falljokull glacier
- Views of Virkisjokull and Vatnajokull glaciers
- Guided glacier tour
- Specialized glacier gear (crampons)
- All required safety equipment (ice axe, harness, helmet)
- English-speaking licensed Adventure Guide
- Meals, refreshments, beverages other than those listed as included
- Parking fee at Skaftafell (paid on the spot)
- We always recommend dressing in layers. Three or four upper layers are highly recommended such as a light T-shirt (preferably wool) next to the skin, then a fleece or heavy wool garment, topped off with a waterproof windbreaker.
- Lightweight hiking pants, track pants or long cotton pants are best (jeans are not recommended for our trips since they can get wet and heavy)
- Rain jacket and trousers
- Sunglasses and sunscreen even if it is cloudy due to the high UV and sunlight reflecting off of the glacier.
- Sturdy hiking boots that fit crampons for the glacier hiking tours.