Ice caves, like the one you will explore today, can be found in several different locations on the south side of Vatnajokull. Some ice caves are very special, while others might not seem as special but become extraordinary in the right light and conditions. Your glacier guide is a highly- qualified mountain- and ice cave specialist who will decide which cave is best to visit each day. The ice caves that are chosen depend on the time of winter, time of day, weather and other conditions. Some ice caves are very stable to visit. Others are less safe and you might not be able to reach them. Some caves are only accessible in subfreezing conditions. You will always get to go to the most interesting ice cave available at each given time.
What you get:
- Experience travelling to and exploring an ice cave
- Local ice cave guide
- 4×4 transfer from our base
- We always go to the best ice cave possible at the time
Difficulty level: Easy
Minimum age: 13 years
Meeting location: Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
Duration: Approx. 2 – 3.5 hours
- This day tour does not have pick up service in Reykjavik. Only from Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon which is located 4 hours drive away from Reykjavik.
- The ice caves are normally about 30 – 70 meters long. People often think they are bigger than they are in reality.
What to bring:
- Good boots or hiking shoes are essential. It is possible to rent boots.
- Warm outdoor clothing
- Guided cave tour
- Specialized glacier gear if needed
- Pick-up and drop-off from Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, main parking lot next to cafeteria.
Your safety is of the utmost importance. Ice Cave tours are weather dependent. Sometimes tours have to be cancelled with short notice due to weather conditions or other safety concerns. After periods of adverse weather, the caves can become flooded or unsafe to enter. If this happens we will always do our best to offer an alternative such as a glacier hike if weather conditions allow. However if this is not suitable we will also always offer a full refund or a rescheduled date for your tour.
Please note that we will not be the only group visiting the ice caves. This has become an incredibly popular winter activity here in Iceland. Other tour companies bring guests to visit the same ice caves, which can cause them to be crowded. Please expect to share the ice caves with other groups.