This is the ultimate Greenland winter experience! Sled dogs have always been inseparable companions for the Inuits and are one of the strongest icons of Greenland. Dog sledges are indispensable for transportation in Greenland. Go on a great dog sledge day tour in Ilulissat.
The dog sledge is one of the strongest icons of Greenland. An Inuit tradition, dating 2000 years back in time! You will not find many other means of transportation, which has survived for so long without any changes. The basic principle is still the same as in the Viking age; some dogs tied to a simple construction of wood. The experience cannot be explained – you have to try it.
Ilulissat is the biggest sledge district in Greenland and offers many great dog sledge experiences. The sledge dog driver may take you towards “Brede bugt” where you can enjoy the view of the Disko Bay. He might even take you onto the sea ice if this is thick enough. Another route goes into the hinterland, towards a viewpoint of the Icefjord, but before getting there, you have to go over “little Akinnaq” a hill top, that is not really that small. This only makes it more fun, when you have to go down it again!
As conditions change during winter, the route will be determined in accordance to the trail conditions each time. You might take a trail that takes you towards “Brede bugt” with a view over Disco Bay. Or you might go out on the ice sheet itself if it is thick enough.
Level of difficulty: 2 – Moderate. Accessible to all those in good health and who are used to all-terrain walks and hikes. As for dog sledding, you may have to get of the sled and walk a short distance; furthermore you need to have a healthy back, since there are bumps and small jumps on the way.
- Transfer from meeting point to sledge trail and back again
- Introduction and information about what to do and how to sit
- App. 2 hour sledge ride with a Greenlandic dog sledge driver
- Coffee and tea
- Pick up from Reykjavik not included. Departure from Ilulissat in Greenland only.
- On sledge rides, there is no guarantee that the driver speaks Danish or English. However, we can promise you that a lot can be understood using gesticulations.
- Please note that tours to Greenland are only available during the following months: February to April
- If you book two people you go on the same sled, whereas if you are a single person you will be put together with another guest on the same sled.
- Minimun age is 8 years
- It is possible to rent Arctic clothing:
- Arctic Winter clothes 34 EUR per day
- Winter boots 9 EUR per day