In Into and above the Glacier you will experience an Icelandic Glacier in a unique way. You will ride on a snowmobile and enter a man made Ice cave beneath the ice cap. You will have an expert local tour guide with you the whole time.
We depart from Reykjavík and head to Húsafell in Borgarfjörður. From Húsafell we start our journey up to the Langjökull Ice Cap. We begin our snowmobiling trip from the Jaki basecamp, on the west side of the Glacier. After putting on the appropriate gear and helmets, we listen to a safety briefing from our guide. Now we are ready to drive off across the glacier´s white and snowy wasteland and marvel at the incredible surroundings.
After snowmobiling we make our way into the man-made Ice Cave beneath the ice cap. Your expert guide will take you on this exciting journey deep into the glacier.
Until very recently, what lies beneath the surface of Langjökull was a mystery. The glacier is constantly moving and the temperature inside it is usually around zero degrees Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit. Thanks to a group of engineers and experts this bold idea became a reality a few years ago enabling us to explore the inside of this magnificent glacier.
After snowmobiling and inspecting the Ice Cave we head back to civilisation, or to the small settlement of Húsafell. After an active day you can soak in the thermal swimming pool or relax in the hot tub. Truly a day to remember!
A valid driver’s license is required to operate the snowmobile.
What to bring:
- Headphones (or you can rent headphones on spot)
- Bathing suit
- Guided coach tour (English speaking guide)
- In-Bus Audio Guide with a selection of languages (English, Finnish, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
- Snowmobile ride
- All necessary equipment for snowmobiling (helmet, gloves, snow-suit)
- One hour guided tour in the Ice Cave
- Admission fee to the Ice Cave and Húsafell swimming pool
- Free Wi-Fi on board the coach and a USB charger for every passenger