In Into and above the Glacier you will experience an Icelandic Glacier in a unique way. You will ride on a snowmobile and enter a man made Ice cave beneath the ice cap. You will have an expert local tour guide with you the whole time.
Please notice that departure for this tour is either from Husafell or Klaki base camp at Langjokull Glacier’s edge. You will need your own car to drive to the glacier where the tour starts. From Húsafell we start our journey up to the Langjökull Ice Cap. We begin our snowmobiling trip from the Jaki basecamp, on the west side of the Glacier. After putting on the appropriate gear and helmets, we listen to a safety briefing from our guide. Now we are ready to drive off across the glacier´s white and snowy wasteland and marvel at the incredible surroundings.
Along the snowmobiling ride we make a stop into the man-made Ice Cave beneath the ice cap. Your expert guide will take you on this exciting journey deep into the glacier.
Until very recently, what lies beneath the surface of Langjökull was a mystery. The glacier is constantly moving and the temperature inside it is usually around zero degrees Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit. Thanks to a group of engineers and experts this bold idea became a reality a few years ago enabling us to explore the inside of this magnificent glacier.
After snowmobiling and inspecting the Ice Cave we head back to civilisation, or to the small settlement of Húsafell. After an active day you can soak in the thermal swimming pool or relax in the hot tub. Truly a day to remember!
A valid driver’s license is required to operate the snowmobile.
What to bring:
- Headphones (or you can rent headphones on spot)
- Bathing suit
- In bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Finnish)
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Exhilarating snowmobile ride and crampons for walking into the ice cave
- All necessary equipment for snowmobiling (helmet, gloves, snow-suit)
- Approximately 1 hour guided tour in the Ice Cave
- Admission to the Ice Cave
- You will be travelling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. It is featured with lavatory facilities as standard. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
- Lunch is not included, but we will stop at Húsafell where you will have a chance to buy food and drinks and use the restrooms if needed. You will have a chance to eat at the Húsafell Bistro after exiting the ice cave.
- Price is per person and there are two passengers per snowmobile.
- Children 8-16 years 25% discount.
- Available all year round (depending on weather).
- Min: 2 passengers
- Age limit: 8 years, for the snowmobile part, a valid driving licence is required to drive the snowmobile.