Once you’ve landed in Akureyri we’ll join a guided bus tour of the Lake Myvatn area, famous for its rich flora, fauna and spectacular lava formations.
On our way we stop at Godafoss waterfall and then continue on towards Myvatn and along the lake’s shore admiring pseudo craters and incredible lava formations.
Around noon we take a break for lunch in Reykjahlid village (lunch not included). Afterwards we proceed to Krafla mountain, past the power station bearing the same name. This power plant is famous because it relies on geothermal steam energy for its operation.
Then we travel on for a view of Hverarond, with its bubbling mud pools.
Stop at Myvatn Nature Baths (depending on weather). There you can choose to take a swim in the lagoon (bathing fee not included) so don’t forget your swimsuit!
Head back to Akureyri to catch the evening flight to Reykjavik.
- Goðafoss waterfall
- Skútustaðagígar pseudo craters
- Dimmuborgir lava formations
- Location sites from Game of Thrones including Grjótagjá – the “Love Cave” from GoT
- Eurasian & American continental rift zone
- Mt. Námafjall and Hverir boiling mud pools
- Víti, an explosion crater with an aqua blue lake inside
- Mývatn Nature Baths (entry fee not included)
Summer schedule: Departures daily
Winter schedule: Departures Mon, Wed, Fri
- Domestic flight Reykjavik – Akureyri – Reykjavik*
- Small group tour
- Professional English speaking guide
- Pick-up and drop-off at Akureyri Airport
- Entrance to Mývatn Nature Baths
What do I need to bring?
- Proper clothing and sturdy shoes
- Swimsuit and a towel
*Airport tax is not included but will be added at the time of booking.