Landmannalaugar is every hiker’s wonderland and every photographer’s dream. Join our day tour to see one of the ultimate highlights of the Icelandic highlands with your own eyes.
Landmannalaugar is a unique bubbling geothermal wonderland with caramel color peaks, soothing hot springs, rambling lava flows, and clear blue lakes.
Landmannalaugar is home to the Laugahraun lava fields, Mount Brennisteinsalda and Bláhnjúkur volcano, all forming a beautiful and colorful setting for your hiking tour. Landmannalaugar is located in the Fjallabak Reserve in the remote highlands of Iceland. You can find some of the most stunning hiking trails in the country here.
Enjoy a scenic drive through the southern countryside and the southern highlands on the way to Landmannalaugar. Your hiking adventure starts from the main hut in Landmannalaugar. The next four-hours will show you amazing scenery as you hike around this gorgeous place. The total hiking distance is approximately 8-10 km (5-6.25 miles). The route goes over Laugahraun lava field, through Vondugil canyon and up to Mt. Brennisteinsalda, a multicolored peak that is highly characteristic of the area.
On the way down, you’ll walk through Graenagil gorge, called Green Gorge in Icelandic because of the area’s dominant green color. If time allows, your group will summit Blahnukur volcano. Then you can relax in the hot spring-fed natural pool in Landmannalaugar and take in the spectacular surroundings of this phenomenal place!
- Hiking distance: 8-10km (5-6.25 miles)
- Elevation Gain: 500 meters (1640 feet), going to approximately 890 meters (2120 feet) above sea level
- Brennisteinsalda mountain
- Laugahraun lava fields
- Hekla volcano
- Hot spring bathing
- Small group experience
- Pick-up/Drop off from a chosen meeting point in Reykjavik
- Transportation to Landmannalaugar in a minibus
- English Speaking tour guide
- Bathing in a natural hot pool
- Landmannalaugar facility fees
- Transportation from accommodation to tour meeting point in Reykjavik
- Meals, refreshments, beverages
- Packed lunch, bottled water, snacks
- Good outdoor clothing; dress in a wool or synthetic base layer, an insulating second layer, and a wind/waterproof outer layer.
- Waterproof jacket and pants.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Bathing suit.
- Tour Departs From: a) City Tour Bus Stop #1 – City Hall, b) City Tour Bus Stop #8 – Hallgrimskirkja church, or c) Reykjavik campsite in front of the Reykjavik City Hostel on Sundlaugavegur. Choose pick-up location at booking time.
- Suitable for those in good condition who are able to walk for 4 hours at a low or moderate pace. Trails are generally good quality.
- The tour operator reserves the right alter the itinerary if road conditions or weather warrant it.