Departures: Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays
Hop on a plane to the Westman Islands, then board a minibus and explore the stunning nature of the island with unique history, friendly locals and see the biggest Puffin colony in the world. The Westman Islands is a unique and unforgettable part of Iceland.This tour is guided by a local known for his consistent high quality service that people rave about. Everything is simple, direct and personal.
Start with a 9:30am flight from Reykjavik to the Westman Islands. Your tour guide will meet you at the Westman Islands airport and take you into the town of Heimaey. You’ll be dropped off at the intriguing Eldheimar, a museum built right into a flow of lava from the 1973 eruption. You’ll have some free time to explore this interesting exhibit about the famous eruption and how it changed local’s lives forever. After your visit, walk down the harbor (a short and easy walk) to meet your guide at 11:30am for a minibus tour of Heimaey Island.
This is not a typical minibus tour where you are sitting the entire time on the bus. There will plenty of stops to explore amazing sites around the island. Some highlights include the windiest place in Wurope, a visit to a volcano and the ruins of the Viking age farmhouse. You’ll discover the local acrobatics of Sprangan. A highlight is a visit to meet a “puffin whisperer“ and a live puffin at the SeaLife Trust.
After your tour, enjoy some free time to explore the town, get something to eat (on your own) and enjoy the local vibes. You can even add in an adrenaline filled RIB safari sea tour or a boat trip around the different islands of the Westman archepelago. (Let us know at booking time, and we’ll add it in!)
Your guide will meet you to drive you back to the airport for your late afternoon or evening flight back to Reykjavik. (Flight time varies based on the season of your visit).
- Round-trip flights between Reykjavik and the Westman Islands, including airport taxes.
- Round-trip transfers between Westman Islands and Heimaey town
- Admission to Eldheimar Museum
- Guided minivan tour around Heimaey Island
- Visit to SeaLife trust to meet a puffin
- Transfers between Reykjavik accommodation and Reykjavik airport
- Meals, beverages and refreshments during the tour
- Minimum of 4 participants to guarantee departure
- Check-in for your flights no later than 45 minutes before departure
- A photo ID is required for checking into your flights
- Puffins are generally in Iceland between May and August