Immerse yourself in the clearest water in the world and float between two continents in Iceland! A snorkeling adventure in the famous Silfra fissure is an unforgettable experience, there is a reason TripAdvisor chose our Snorkeling Tour the No. 4 experience in the world!
Snorkel in Silfra, where the astonishingly clear water reveals a mesmerizing underwater world full of colors you don’t see above the surface. Silfra is a fissure created by the separation of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates cutting through Iceland. A natural lava filtering process of the glacial water makes Silfra one of the clearest bodies of water on earth.
After you arrive at Silfra, your guide will give you your dry suit and snorkeling equipment. Your snorkel guide will explain how to use this equipment and how to ensure that you will be warm and comfortable during your 30 to 40-minute snorkeling tour.
During your snorkel you will explore the four main parts of Silfra. You will float through Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section where the continental plates are so close you can almost touch them. The fissure then widens into Silfra Hall. Here the full spectrum of Silfra’s colors and clarity become all the more apparent. At this point if you look at just the right angle you can see all the way to Lake Thingvallavatn in the distance. Near to the opening to Thingvellir lake you will enter the deeper waters of Silfra Cathedral. where you’ll feel like you are flying over the boulders and glacial silt. Your snorkel is finished in the endless visibility of Silfra Lagoon.
Make sure to drink some of the Silfra water while you are snorkeling! Who knows when you will be able to drink water so pure again?
Duration of snorkeling tour: 2 hours (30-40 minutes of snorkeling).
- Pick-up/Drop-off from hotel in Reykjavík or nearest City Tour Bus Stop
- Snorkeling trip with PADI divemaster guides
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling trip (vegan hot chocolate and cookies available; if you are vegan let us know at booking time)
- Entrance fee into Silfra area of Thingvellir National Park
- Meals, refreshments, beverages other than those listed as included
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
- A COVID-19 face mask (if required)
- You must have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email).
- If you are 60 years or older you must have a Snorkeling Medical form signed off by a doctor (link provided in confirmation email).
- You must sign a liability release form at the start of the snorkeling tour.
- Your height must be between 150 cm (5 feet) and 200 cm (6.5 feet).
- Your weight must be between 45kg (99lbs/16 stone.) and 120kg (265lbs (19 stone).)
- You must fit within our dry suit size chart.
- You must be ready to wear a dry suit that can sometimes be tight and constricting.
- You must be comfortable in water and be able to swim.
- You must be physically fit.
- You must be able to understand and communicate in English.
- You must not be pregnant at the time of the tour.
- It is not possible to wear glasses underneath the dive mask. The mask will fill with water if you wear glasses.
- If you are near-sighted (i.e. you need glasses for distance you might consider wearing contact lenses or bringing your own prescription mask with you.
- If you have prescription swimming goggles you are able to wear them, but you must also bring a nose clip to close off your nose, so that you are able to use your snorkel.