This is a standard tour that includes a bus fare from Reykjavik. Our standard tour allows you to explore the tunnel in an easy and enjoyable manner.
This unforgettable adventurous day tour will take you to a lava tunnel created by a volcanic eruption about 5200 years ago, Raufarholshellir. It is one of the best- known and longest lava tunnels in Iceland. Located just 30 minutes from Reykjavík it is easily accessible year-round. The total tour is approximately 2.5 – 3.0 hours with one hour in the cave.
The total length of the tunnel is 1360 m, with the main tunnel being 900 m long. The tunnel is up to 30 m wide with headroom up to 10 m high, making it one of the most expansive lava tunnels in Iceland. The tunnel is covered in large rocks and that is why paths and a footbridge have been constructed so it is easily accessible when doing the Lava Tunnel Tour. Impressive lighting in this part of the tunnel highlights the changing colors and clearly shows the poweful seismic activity that formed the tunnel. At the end of Raufarhólshellir, the tunnel branches into three smaller tunnels where magnificent lava falls and formations are clearly visible.
Near the entrance of the tunnel the ceiling has caved in, creating three beautiful columns of light inside the tunnel and in winter the frost forms beautiful ice sculptures inside the entrance, giving you the feeling of being about to enter a magical winter wonderland.
- Pick up and drop off from Reykjavik.
- All necessary gear such as helmet, light and gloves
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel in the Reykjavik metropolitan area
- Professional guidance inside the lava tube
- Bring warm clothes and sturdy shoes.
- The tour inside the cave is 50 minutes.
- This tour is recommended for people in good physical conditions.
- No crawling is needed as the cave is both wide and has a high ceiling.