Explore the unique colors of Vatnshellir Cave on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula.
The area all around the Snaefellsjokull glacier contains hundreds of lava tubes, which makes the area really special for people interested in caves. Vatnshellir is an 8.000- year-old lava tube created by volcanic eruption from a nearby crater in the Purkholar crater family. As the lava rushed down the hill in a lava river it began to cool on the surface, creating a crust on top of the lava river. As the eruption stopped, all the lava from underneath this crust continued to drain out. That eventually left behind an empty tube with a roof on top that gradually cooled down.
Walk along the 200-meter (656 foot) cave and down 35 meters (115 feet) below the surface to experience unique colors and lava formations.
- Entrance to Vatnshellir cave
- Tour led by expert cave guide
- Meals, refreshments, beverages
- Transfers to/from Vatnshellir Cave
- Warm clothes (the cave temperature is just above freezing all year)
- Good shoes for uneven ground
- Gloves (recommended)
- Please arrive no later than 10 minutes before your tour time.
- Minimum age: 5 years old
- Activity/Difficulty: The cave is easily accessible, but you need to be reasonably fit to participate. If you can walk up the stairs in a 2-3 story building without stopping and if you don’t have trouble walking on uneven surfaces you should be fine.