Explore Iceland’s famous southwest and travel with complete freedom and flexibility in your own rental car.
Volcanoes, Glaciers and Northern Lights is a short winter self-drive tour that focuses on the highlights of southern Iceland.
Surround yourself with incredible Icelandic nature with its thundering waterfalls, spouting hot springs, vast lava fields and black-sand beaches. In the evenings, don’t forget to scout the clear, dark skies looking for the dancing northern lights.
What’s in it for you?
- Even though the tour is relatively short, you have the opportunity to explore all of Iceland’s main attractions in Golden Circle area as well as along and around the South Shore, and with a bit of luck to enjoy the stunning view of the gliding Aurora Borealis.
- Electronic version of Iceland Travel Booklet. Prior to your arrival we will send you an electronic version of our Iceland Travel Booklet. You can start preparing yourself for your upcoming Iceland trip and be all ready for you Iceland adventure!
- Digital itinerary with the Iceland Travel Companion
- You will participate in a Northern Lights Boat tour with an expert guide (on your arrival evening), where you will gain some tips on how to see the northern lights. You can use that information during the next evening where you will be hunting for the northern lights on your own.
- Possibility of visiting the famous Blue Lagoon.
If you like the day-to-day itinerary for our Volcanoes, Glaciers, and Northern Lights self-drive tour but are looking for a more budget friendly option we recommend that you take a look at our Volcanic View and Northern Lights self-drive.
- 2 nights at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura or similar, including breakfast.
- 1 night at Icelandair Hotel Fludir or similar, including breakfast.
- 1 night at Icelandair Hotel Vik or similar, including breakfast.
- Rental car for 4 days, unlimited mileage, CDW, VAT and airport service fee.
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik airport.*
- GPS system with car and additional authorized driver.
- An emergency phone line available all day and every day of the year.
- SIM card worth ISK 2000: unlimited minutes of local calls + 1GB of data. Standard, Micro and Nano cards available. Please check with your service provider to make sure that your phone is unlocked before arrival in Iceland.
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion (picked up at Keflavik airport with your car rental). The app includes:• Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
• Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
• Detailed description of the customer´s journey, including hotel itinerary and GPS road guide to each hotel
• A map view of the Iceland road trip
• Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
*In case of no availability at Icelandair Hotel Natura, Icelandair Hotel Vik, or Icelandair Hotel Fludir we reserve the right to book a equivalent hotel.
**Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our flybus departure transfer.
Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher.
Our road trip packages are designed by our team of travel experts. They are created for people like you who want to experience the very best of what Iceland has to offer. To get the best value Iceland Travel has to offer, book our road trips online. Please note that changes to the packages will incur a service fee.
With our exclusive road trip app you don´t have to worry about missing out and you will always find your way to your hotel after a full day of traveling. It is easy to book day tours and activities in the app when you are on the road.
Terms & Conditions
Iceland Travel offers a variety of tours, packages tickets and services ("products") through its website (icelandtravel.is).
Iceland Travel’s Terms and Conditions contain legal obligations; therefore, it is of the utmost importance that you read them carefully. They form the basis on which bookings are accepted by Iceland Travel.
The purchase of any travel services offered by Iceland Travel constitutes a contractual arrangement between the person making the booking and Iceland Travel, and represents acceptance of Iceland Travel's Terms and Conditions described here.
Please ensure that you read carefully and understand these Terms & Conditions prior to booking.